At Richmond Park CP School our children follow the Read Write Inc. programme for literacy development. At the foot of the page you can download a longer letter with more information about Read Write Inc. and how it works. As well as this, there are links on the right hand side with more information and support for you to help your child develop their literacy skills.
What do children learn in Read Write Inc. sessions?
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letters/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out.
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering 'Find it' and 'Prove it' discussion questions.
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds.
- learn to write words by saying the sounds and graphemes.
- write simple sentences
- compose stories based on picture scripts.
- compose a range of texts using discussion prompts
Children are assessed so they work with children at the same level. This allows them to take a full part in all lessons.
They work in pairs so that they:
- answer every question
- practise every activity with their partner
- take turns in talking to each other
If you require any further information about the Read Write Inc programme in our school, please feel free to contact our Read Write Inc Coordinator - Mrs Tipping.
'I like Read, Write, Inc because it makes me a better reader and this will help me with other subjects.'
Alex Fry-Evans - Year 5 pupil
'I like Read, Write, Inc because it is challenging. Read, Write, Inc has helped me to improve my handwriting and my spelling.'
Daniel Gleeson - Year 6 pupil
Parent Letter Read Write Inc.pdf